In response to this morning's recent (embargoed) press release and announcement by the Local Government Secretary of State The Rt. Hon. Robert Jenrick MP and Minister for the Northern Powerhouse and Local Growth Rt. Hon. Jake Berry MP, Karl McCartney (Lincoln’s former Conservative Member of Parliament and current Parliamentary Candidate) and senior Conservative City Councillors welcomed news that Lincoln is to benefit with £25M of direct funding from our Conservative Government.
- This funding comes on top of the over £300million invested in Lincoln and the surrounding areas that Karl McCartney helped to secure as the Conservative Member of Parliament from 2010-2017
- We in the Conservative Party are committed to raising living standards and ensuring our cities can thrive with transformative investment in transport, technology, skills and culture. Funding such as this is helpful in achieving our aims for local people
- As Conservatives we know the best answers for improving our City and surrounding areas for local people will come from local people, that’s why we have listened to people living locally in the 100 areas and will support them with a huge £3.6 billion fund to drive jobs, opportunity and economic growth
- Locally we look forward to working with the Lincoln City Council Chief Executive and her open-minded staff as the Conservative Government will soon publish a prospectus to guide local government officers through the processes and the set eligibility criteria for accessing and releasing the funding
- Once approved, these new Area Deals will improve connectivity, provide vital social and cultural infrastructure and boost growth – with communities having a say on how the money is spent
- Decisions on funding any proposals will be made in due course and we as local Conservative representatives will be doing our utmost to ensure that Lincoln is at the front of the queue to access this funding as we are well aware that social mobility will be enhanced by investing this funding wisely for the benefit of all people, of all ages, and from all areas across Lincoln
- The 'Town Deals Fund' builds directly on the Conservative Government’s commitment to decentralising funding and decisions away from Whitehall and investing in the growth of local economies and devolving powers through ambitious City and Growth Deals, providing more than £9 billion of funding to Local Enterprise Partnerships and introducing eight Metro Mayors in areas of England to date.
Conservative City Council Group Leader Cllr. Hilton Spratt, his Deputy Cllr. Thomas Dyer and Karl McCartney the Parliamentary Candidate, issued a joint response to today’s announcement:
“The Conservative Group in Lincoln are excited to work with our Conservative Government, local businesses and residents to put together a comprehensive plan for accessing this funding in Lincoln. Businesses in Lincoln need the infrastructure improvements and commitment to up-skilling employees to continue flourishing and growing that this funding will provide for our City. We want to see this funding invested wisely across our community so that we continue to see a positive impact for decades to come.”
All three local Conservatives are available for interviews, live or pre-recorded, and comments during the day:
Karl McCartney: 07970039767
Cllr. Hilton Spratt: 07752902390
Cllr. Thomas Dyer: 07984590645
- ENDS -